398 S Mill Ave View on Google Maps
Tempe, AZ 85281
YEAR BUILT: 1888, 1899
Original Use: Hotel/ Current Use: Retail, Dining, and Offices
The Casa Loma building has undergone significant changes during its time on Mill Avenue. The site was originally occupied by the Atwood Hotel, Tempe’s first 3-story Victorian style building. The original wood-framed building burned down in 1894 but was reconstructed in 1899.
The post-fire construction opened as The Casa Loma hotel in 1901, which remained a popular spot for tourists for 40 years. Other significant renovations include the 1927 facade change to the now-used Spanish Colonial Revival style, and the installation and removal of then-mandated window screens (1960 - 1981).
The Casa Loma building currently is home to popular Downtown Tempe destinations such as Caffe Boa, The Shoe Mill, and a variety of offices.
- Tacos Calafia414 S Mill Avenue (133 feet SW)
- Med Fresh Grill414 S Mill Ave (157 feet SW)
- Mission Grille60 E 5th St (171 feet E)
- Taco Bell Cantina423 S. Mill Avenue (176 feet S)
- The Shoe Mill398 S Mill Ave (149 feet NW)
- High Maintenance Smoke Shop411 S Mill Ave (162 feet S)
- Ink and Eagle Tattoo414 S Mill Avenue (190 feet SW)
- Henna Shoppe411 S Mill Ave (196 feet S)
Nearby Culture & Entertainment
- United Escapes of America Tempe414 S Mill Ave (253 feet SW)
- Sunbar Tempe24 W. 5th Street (409 feet SW)
- Harkins Valley Art Theater509 S Mill Ave (444 feet S)
- 6th Street Park24 E 6th St (786 feet SE)
- Mission Palms South Lot301 S Mill Ave (270 feet N)
- On-Street Meters (375 feet S)
- City Hall West Lot 5th St @ Mill (420 feet SE)
- Mission Palms North Lot281 S Mill Ave (442 feet N)