230 E. University Dr.
Tempe, AZ 85281
CATEGORY: Historical Properties
YEAR BUILT: 1903
St. Mary's Church is significant as a prominent landmark in Tempe. This building was constructed to replace the earlier adobe chapel which served the Catholic community since 1881. The project was stimulated by Severinus Westhoff, O.F.M., a German immigrant who had come to the Tempe chapel in 1895, and who had started missions in both Scottsdale and Guadalupe. With the help of volunteer labor from both Mexican-American and Anglo community, the church was dedicated in 1903. Among the prominent citizens in Tempe who were originally involved in the church building project were John Curry, J. J. Hodnett, Winchester Miller, and J. T. Priest. The church was granted parish status in 1932, and was transferred to the Newman Club in 1962.